Rippin - February 25, 2014

The tide was rippin', the rowers were grouchy, several small things weren't right and we wondered if this was the day to stay on shore, but we cast off and took our chances. For the first time since the early rowing days I had some queasiness, caught a few nasty crabs with my oars that in a higher level boat would have surely tossed me into the bay.

The big noticing was that the more I focused my mind on the stroke action, the funkier it became, and if I actually looked at the oars, using visual cuing gave the worst result of all. Once again I'm reminded that so much embodied wisdom that can't be improved by giving the task to brain to manage .... it takes a whole body to row that boat. And when mind is frightened, it is definitely not in a good management position.



Comments