Moving with Ease - April 27, 2017

In a series of humorous incidents, I am taking a serious look at how to relax while dancing, sort of type A tries to understand hanging out. I know, I know, you can't do it that way, but here's what I'm finding. 

After an excellent session with the wonderful Ellen, Feldenkrais body worker, where we discussed all sorts of embodied movements, especially of the skeleton, I noticed she kept using the word "efficient" in terms of posture and movement by relying on skeleton to do the work. That's when the light bulb went off and I realized you can bring ease into the dance by letting the bones support the axis, the posture, and give the muscles a rest in those moments. Also let the bones make use of gravity and natural forces over fighting with muscular energy. 


So I was practicing walking this way which is beyond yummy when the thought arose to try and find a visual of a walking skeleton and here's what I found. A beautiful example of contra movement such as we discuss in tango is present in the view of normal walking. The pelvis and ribs swinging side to side, sequentially rotating. Best viewed in the slowest youtube setting.


Comments