The Taste

This morning the scent of my favored tea lifted from the cup and woke me to its pure fragrance, its earthy, sweet memories of Anhui hillsides on the other side of the planet.

Before the first sip the interior warmth rises, the seed of excitement that says welcome to this new and fresh day, this day that has never been tasted, and before I rush into it like plunging head first into a body of water without even feeling it, I want to taste this, really taste it, this cup of life that is here for me, offered to me, waiting to see what I will do with the raw clay provided, the materials of possibility.

Will I allow a moment of hesitation standing at this threshold or will habit blind me to newness, suck the juice from the offering, and lead me to well trod paths of mundanity in the midst of treasure?

Comments

caroline said…
I love this reflection on the choice we have each day to create, take a new path, see things in a new way or follow the well worn and familiar one. For us it is a gift that we now have, as we age,not being sucked dry each day by work or weariness from multi tasking... but it looks to me that there will more and more need of the ability to put time to better use as AI and technology and climate change displace people from their usual work and they need to decide how to use time. C