Hello Bloggy - April 9, 2011




Having recently made the decision to retire from my work as a physician administrator of many years, to a blessed pause in which to reflect, gather in energy, imagine, and connect with only that which pulls at my heart, mind, and soul, these musings  relate to this impetus and what is on my mind at any given moment, which is likely to include a new found interest in making art, studying the evolutionary push of the universe, death and dying interests, and surely more explorations to come.


Yesterday, April 8, 2011, was the first art opening reception called Color Play, of the Art Sisters, group of six women "artists", who have been meeting for about three years, and my first art show experience. It was a modest affair in a bank in  our small town that is very supportive of art and each other. I went into it with great ambivalence and having had what I think we would all call a  successful opening event …. I continue with ambivalence. I need the nurturing, creative art making experience, I enjoy the sharing of paintings with friends, including giving to those who are interested, but the ego-laden energy related to showing and marketing does not appeal to my higher nature, or quest for humility in life. So more to ponder here in terms of next steps for art making.



I put "artists" in quotes because I  prefer to see myself as a verb. I paint, rather than I am a painter. Losing the labels is a better fit for me.


The Art Sisters - Katy Yanke, me, Ellen LeBel, Sandy Vrem,
                     Nancy Resnick, Michele Olsen

Comments

Chexer said…
Hi Rebecca,

I've enjoyed reading your posts about your journey these past months. I love your beautiful paintings and imagine they're even so much more wonderful in person. I have seen you mention humility in your posts and it has reminded me of my lack in this area. Thanks for the reminder. It is something I always admire deeply in others, but for some reason have not made a priority in my own life. I'm grateful for this gentle nudge. It's an honor knowing you. Your Friend, Allison
Rebecca said…
Allison,
What a treat to hear from you. Thanks for poking around. I keep mentioning humility because as they say, it's a "growing edge" for me and we all need some of those!
Best,
Rebecca