Surprising Love - September 11, 2011

I recently became a hospice volunteer and have been visiting my first companion for several months now on a weekly basis. While I expected to enjoy the work and be affected by being part of this fundamental and moving process, I was not prepared for the depth of caring that I would feel for this here to fore stranger.

I would never have met this humble, gracious, humorous, sparkling and delightful 88 year old woman who is confined to home. Though her body is shrinking before my eyes, her spirit it not. She lights me up with her brilliance and I feel completely grateful for each visit. Today she had the audacity to say that I bring her joy when I feel the pleasure is all mine. We talked about this and how good feeling amplifies when the heart is open.

Comments