Whipping Along - October 9, 2014

It's not my habit to show works in progress (wips) because I usually don't have an endpoint in mind, but in this case I commissioned a work for myself and am committed to finishing it for the sake of accountability.

This year of the wood horse in the Chinese zodiac being my 60th year is my "rebirth" year the first time it has recurred since I was born. I asked a number of friends if they would send me a drawing of a horse so that I could combine them into a painting to celebrate this year in connection with friends. Many dear hearts complied with a very broad variety of submissions and over the summer I came up with a design to accommodate the variations but I've been slow implementing. Finally, it's happening and I am including some photos in progress to keep me on track.

the setting

first horses, including cliff rock paintings

more ponies gathering

Comments