Working With Despair - October 1, 2014

I think it is Victor Frankl who will pull me back into life and hopefully in a way that is bigger than before. In his great work, Man's Search for Meaning, he came up with three ways we find meaning in life:
  1. working on what is important;
  2. experiencing our lives fully;
  3. being with and bearing suffering.
The first two I can easily relate to, but not until this little episode of environmental despair have I had to face the third. And I believe that is where the possibility lies. The way of keeping the suffering heart open by living with the pain and doing what is possible. I think this may also relate to the relationship of what we know and what we do with what we know. A lifetime of possible reflection, contemplation, and action.




Comments