Pork Fried Rice and Whiteness

Every morning a written and spoken poem are delivered to my inbox. Awhile ago I decided that I have the control to change what I take in, I can substitute poetry, science, art for "news", politics, and other horrors... or at least delay those a little bit.

This morning a poem seemingly born of the me too movement arrived in audio format and is worth hearing til the end. In fact Choi wrote this in 2012. Prescient, yet timeless.

So I was introduced to Franny Choi, and I am grateful for that. Another one I came across is worth a look. Whiteness Walks into a Bar.




To the Man Who Shouted “I Like Pork Fried Rice” at Me on the Street" - Franny Choi

you want to eat me
out. right. what does it taste like
you want to eat me right out 
of these jeans & into something 
a little cheaper. more digestible.
more bite-sized. more thank you

come: i am greasy 
for you. i slick my hair with msg
every morning. i’m bad for you.
got some red-light district between 
your teeth. what does it 
taste like: a takeout box 
between my legs.
plastic bag lady. flimsy white fork 
to snap in half. dispose of me.

taste like dried squid. lips puffy 
with salt. lips brimming 
with foreign so call me
pork. curly-tailed obscenity 
been playing in the mud. dirty meat.
worms in your stomach. give you 

a fever. dead meat. butchered girl
chopped up & cradled
in styrofoam. you candid cannibal.
you want me bite-sized 
no eyes clogging your throat.

but i’ve been watching 
from the slaughterhouse. ever since
you named me edible. tossed in
a cookie at the end. lucky man.
go & take what’s yours.
name yourself archaeologist     but

listen carefully 
to the squelches in 
your teeth & hear my sow squeal 
scream murder between 
molars. watch salt awaken 
writhe, synapse. 
watch me kick 
back to life. watch me tentacles 
& teeth. watch me 
resurrected electric.

what does it
                                    taste like: revenge
squirming alive in your mouth
strangling you quiet 
from the inside out.
Source: Poetry (March 2014)

Comments