Mirror

My Mirror
The invitation to examine my white privilege marches on, deepening, and it is a cringe worthy painful dive into a dark place which after reading The Sun Does Shine - Anthony Ray Hinton, and Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coatesis leading inexorably to facing my own white privilege. 

The first reaction of most of us, "oh, haven't I done this already, at least made a good start?", is simply white fragility in action - immediate defensiveness when topics of race emerge.  And this time I'm not letting myself off so easily. 

So an internet search of dealing with the topic has lead me to my next reading material, twelve steps to overcoming your addiction to white privilege - now there is a long term assignment. As I begin the fearless inventory, it is not a happy process and will go on for a very long time.

Then the next books I'm assigning myself are White Fragility - Robin Diangelo - white writer - selling so fast it's hard to find one, and So You Want to Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo - black writer, and here she is sharing some truth.

Comments