Shunned

It has been a hard week for me. Taking in ever more about our predicament is hard in itself and adding to that I was excluded from a FB group called Positive Deep Adaptation where thousands of people post on the subject. Shunned, shamed, and silenced is the impact and it is deeply painful.

Internet Photo
Truth is I didn't often visit the group and found it an echo chamber, somewhat superficial, but still felt part of a community of people willing to speak and explore their thoughts about the unspeakable in most of life. It is a heavily policed site by the administrators and I pushed back too hard on what felt like misogyny on the part of the leader. I was in good company in this and have no way of knowing how many others if any are out. Against their own guidelines there was no warning nor notification, just locked out.

It is humbling, humiliating, and painful far beyond my expectation or memory of such a thing. But like most events there are gifts too.

I don't bring up climate grief in conversation much and this pain allowed an entrance to the subject with a group of friends that ended up feeling supportive. Will the subject continue? Not sure. We'll see.

But it also got me looking around to other places for nourishment and I found a more feminine version. Catherine Ingram has written the equivalent of the Deep Adaptation paper and has a pod cast called In the Deep that I am appreciating.

Comments