Lions, Racoons, and Deer, OH My!

Mother Nature is hitting hard, at least in the opening salvos of the farming operation. Lamb lost to lion, chickens to racoon two mornings in a row, and the deer are enjoying my massive native plantings. It is humbling and easy to see who has the upper hand. I spent the last two days fortifying the chicken coop including a solar motion sensor light.

I feel terrible about the animals because it's my responsibility to keep them safe as domestics are not equipped for Nature, like us, and the plants, I'll just have to see who survives. I wish the lion would come back and spray them all to remind the deer.

Old sheep shed on Lyons ranch seen on a refreshing hike
This late in life enterprise is a strict teacher with failures galore and ever getting me ready for living with disappointment. Body is succumbing to injuries and overuse aches. My drill driver fell on my head from a high ladder in the process of siting the light, luckily not pointy side down but threw me off my project for a time.

Remaining chickens have survived a night following the security improvements to their home that make it feel more like a prison than a coop.  

Comments