A Graceful Miss - November 10, 2011

My adventure almost ended prematurely  eighty miles from home on the narrow two lane winding road near Jedediah Smith Park on the Smith River. A parked RV pulled into the oncoming lane, not seeing a bulky pick up truck behind him whose only option was my lane. Facing each other at speed and short distance with cliff immediately on my right, time slowed as I noticed the confused look on the RV driver's face in response to my solid horn sound and somehow by the grace of something that I don't understand, the three of us threaded the eye of a too small needle, managing no contact. 

On the other side of the event, I sobbed with relief, gratitude, confusion, shock and the profound sense that I was spared to live some more, that it was not my time. Had we crashed, physics was against my tiny Toyota Yaris and it would have been a bloody mess.

Being quietly at home today is an immeasurable joy.


Comments

Joan Gold said…
Welcome home, Rebecca. Sure am glad that you missed that appointment that wasn't meant to be.

It has been a pleasure following your adventure. Thank you for letting this reluctant traveler share in it.
Rebecca said…
Joan,
Thank you, Dear One, for your comment. Sometimes being alive is more than enough. It feels good to live in sustained gratitude.