Deep Shame

I just spent the afternoon reviewing the now almost three year old case of the murder of David Josiah Lawson and am feeling deeply ashamed of my community.

Listening to the KHSU interview with the outside investigator at year one who found police incompetence from the first moment and videos that document the process to date of DA and Grand Jury incompetence as well, and a long trail of locally unsolved murders, it leaves me ashamed, angry, and saddened by what appears to be a remote back water of entrenched good ol' boy white supremacy in operation with a largely silent and accepting populace.

I saw the impact of the good ol' boy network when I worked in Public Health and spoke out in the Supervisor's chambers about my concerns of incompetence in the Coroner's Office. I recall the near group gasp and chilly silence that greeted my lonely voice, putting me right in my place.

I remember being similarly treated when I worked at HSU arguing with my colleagues that recruiting students of color from Southern California inner city neighborhoods without providing adequate information, support, and safety for them was unacceptable. And apparently so was I, silenced again.

So I, like so many others attend some rallies, several Justice for Josiah events, wave my fists and yell to fire the DA, and then we carry on and live comfortably in this beautiful community that is simply not safe for people of color. And I hang my head in shame when I take this in.


Comments