Extreme Collage - August 1, 2017

Image result for the invention of natureAlexander von Humboldt, the great connector, has finally seriously entered my sphere via Andrea Wulf's book, The Invention of Nature. It took an imminent trip to Berlin and the knowing connection of my home Humboldt County to that place via the namesake genius to get down to the book, itself a masterpiece of telling I am willing to say early in the immersion.

One of Wulf's first descriptions was to call him a collage of interests, activities, explorations, abilities, understanding, and passions. High energy and driven, I know I will be captivated ... and horrified, as the story unfolds at the realization of what he learned and shared over 200 years ago that many contemporary politicians and others still refuse to accept as truth.

“I saw with regret, (and all scientific men have shared this feeling) that whilst the number of accurate instruments was daily increasing, we were still ignorant” 
― Alexander von HumboldtPersonal Narrative of Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of America, During the Year 1799-1804 - Volume 1

Comments