Time Travel

This trip focused on the UK, on walking, on music in churches has turned into more of a journey back in time than a trip to somewhere else in space.

I have been feeling the presence of my mother in church - she joined the Anglican Church and participated enthusiastically in her last twenty years, and she carried much of English culture into our family life, to my surprise. I notice it in the foods, linguistic expressions, sensibilities, preferences, and other cultural attributes that feel comfortable and homey to me as if I am visiting family.

It is easy to be here, and I enjoy even the damp and windy weather, the walks on the heath, the quiet and open country sides, the straight forward non competitiveness of acquaintances, the polite yet welcoming encounters, the easy movement around this country.

And finally in the last days, the inspiration for the next big knitting project is birthing from its cocoon. I wasn't sure it would come, felt stuck but it is emerging and is exciting. I only know the first step, not how to achieve the thing, but how to get started. Ah, something to live for!



Was it the Sean Scully show at the National Gallery yesterday that provided the push? I'll never know but I did LOVE that show which was hidden away in the basement and not well advertised but luckily I stumbled upon it at the end of a long art afternoon of old and dirty works.

Woman and Scully series


Comments