Planting til the End

Tonight I attended the city and county meeting to give input to the upcoming Climate Action Plan which is entirely focused on reducing CO2 emissions locally - far too narrow a project. Nonetheless, I read all the posters, placed my dots, and sticky notes with messages like - "Have you declared a Climate Emergency locally", "are you working on mitigation of overshoot like sea level rise which is coming no matter what happens with CO2 here or anywhere"?

Matt's tree at Aburlita's Garden
Then a very pleasant young man presented a clear, graphically rich, and colorful presentation, promising a big reveal at the end which did indeed occur ... that all of the 12 or so big stretch proposals beyond the California legislated climate change requirements, made hardly a squat of difference in bending the curve.

The crowd stood up, resumed conversing with one another, munched on snacks, and began placing more dots and sticky notes. I left quickly preferring not to break into sobs in the midst of the friendly crowd.

We are so absolutely and completely fucked it is hard to stay in my skin some days. So I will be grateful for planting two fruit trees today at Matt's community garden and doing more site visits for other soon to be adopted trees. Like the poem, I think that on the day the world ends, I will plant a tree.

Comments