Regeneratrix

Well this DNA business is a rabbit hole I do not intend to fall into. What I'd hope to find was a pointer toward my ancestral home and indeed I did - it's all across northeastern Europe and surely I could have known that by looking in the mirror.

But, the exercise has pointed me to Marija Gimbutas, Lithuanian anthropologist who named Old Europe and discovered hundreds of neolithic female figures and wrote theories of migration and goddess cultures. Initially highly regarded when studying Bronze Age, she was largely discredited in her goddess studies by the male bastions of the academic empire.

Now that she is dead, DNA studies are showing that her Kurgan Theory is supported and her colleagues are having to swallow hard.

If you have an hour, this film by Donna Read and Starhawk about her is well worth it.

Comments