Cold Plunge Ending - January 24, 2018

Yesterday's row was a challenge from the moment of deciding to go - too windy according to the most safety conscious member of the group. Then my takeoff was a mess with a gut feeling that something was wrong yet I pushed off anyway and quickly saw that an oar was malpositioned and unrowable. I couldn't get back to the dock without assistance and it was an ungraceful, scary and messy situation with a near dunking.

As expected, the wind came up during the row and a few times I stopped or turned and let myself feel the currents and tide and was struck by the difficulty of regaining control of the craft and getting back on course. After arriving back I looked to see my scull and oars drifting away from the dock - too much wind.

"Adrift" by Timothy Silver - boat adrift is a sad sight
I charged down, yelling but it was too late, the lagging oar was unreachable. I chose to slide into the water thinking I could swim a few strokes, grab the oar and pull the rig back. But the water was so cold I was instantly paralysed, without breath, and could barely haul myself back onto the dock. Shivering and freezing in the wind, I tried calling the harbor master but they had no boat to help rescue my disappearing scull. Then a friendly little fishing boat appeared, headed over and grabbed my M4 and hauled her back to our dock. They were concerned that a boat without a rower meant someone was in the water so were relieved to know we were fine. They were so kind and I am very grateful.

This may signify the end of my rowing days. It was an exhausting, sobering day and I think I may be seeing a return to tai chi on my horizon. I've had a good run of wonderful rowing days and today made me appreciate the level of risk for the lovely benefits. Howard was glad to have me home safely and hoping I won't wander too far.

Comments