Entitlement Displaces Gratitude - May 26, 2016

When I heard this phrase spoken by a friend today, it immediately resonated and helped me understand the clench I often feel when the phrase "it is my right ..." is so frequently spoken. This conversation was in the context of a dying person's wishes. And with the book, Die Wise, very much with me it makes me wonder if this feeling of entitlement at this time of life can have the sad effect of displacing gratitude, or really any other feeling. Wouldn't anger, sadness, even suffering, feel better than entitlement? At least they are anchored in the moment's reality and not a demand for something to be otherwise or a future oriented.


Collage Poem 


                                                      Mistakes

                                                            life is a rhombus

                                                                     you take mice steps forward
                                                                     and elephant leaps back

                                                  float, swoop, soar, twist, and then crash.

Comments