The Result - July 26, 2017

After a restless night and waking up with resolve to speak my truth if called, I showered, dressed professionally and headed to Courtroom #3 where we filed in, 11 people in the jury area and about sixty of us filling in the rest of the seats. The judge explained that one person was unable to serve and they read the name of the next person to take the unfilled seat ... mine.

The questions began immediately and I expressed my concerns, doubts, beliefs, values, judgments etc. etc., even my distaste for a punitive jurisprudence system especially in regard to when a disease, alcoholism, is potentially a key aspect of the trial, that would impact my ability to be impartial. I was dismissed and won't know what happened until the trial is over. I did not do this in order to be dismissed.

This is what happens when an Enneagram One meets a jury situation, scrupulous honesty. I'm not saying it's a good thing ... the first 12 interviewed all had no problems and felt they could be impartial - luckily for the process. No way for me - too many life and career experiences that were careening through my mind and would not leave me alone.

I wanted to do my civic duty and maybe I did, by not taking a role I feel ill suited to fill. Maybe I can make it up with more trail maintenance work.

Comments