Unbidden Reflection - July 25, 2017

For the first time in my entire life I've been summoned to jury duty and by the end of day two we still sit in jury review. I am not one of the first 12 but in the gallery of 60 or so onlookers. 
Image result for judicial symbol

The process is fascinating but what is even more telling is my self observation, the stream of judgements running through my mind. If they'd asked me directly any of the questions asked so far I feel like an outlier compared to the 12 who seem confident in their impartiality regardless of life circumstances that would seemingly make it difficult. 

And here I sit, without those traumas, yet far from impartial. Will I disclose my lack of juror vigor if asked, admit that I'm not worthy to impartially judge my fellow citizens' behaviors, admit that I think "the law is an ass", and I can't see a possible good outcome?

Time will tell ... back at it tomorrow. Maybe a new day will produce a new me.

Comments