Sensei and Grasshopper

Sister Joan just spent several days here visiting from Vancouver Island and I am left in an emotional puddle. Overcome with gratitude for our connection in hilarity over things no one else would understand or appreciate, and ease of playing together like we were young and carefree again, I am shaken to the core with emotion that is surprising me. It was so sad when she left.

We spent a day sorting family photos with the one of us as littles watching over the scene at backyard picnic table and two days doing shibori indigo dying. My production was greater in quantity and her fine hands produced master works. I quickly proclaimed her "master of arashi technique" and she nodded and said "Arashi Sensei", and called me Grasshopper (beginner). She got that right in every sense. I have always embraced my kindergarten self and now she has the moniker.


Comments