Rather be Seen than Liked - September 21, 2012

I had an interesting realization the other day, that feels contrary to cultural norms. We spend so much time trying to look good in every way, in hopes of improving or at least maintaining social status and connection. It's automatic to even hide one's truth in order to not be perceived as unlikeable by speaking an unpopular notion or pointing out a problem most would prefer to leave unprobed.

As I sunk into this and realized also the huge gift of being seen deeply, I got the strong felt sense that I'd rather be really seen than liked, if that had to be the trade off. Secretly though, I know that when two or more meet and see each other deeply, the only possibility is love, so maybe I'm just hedging my bets, but even in the short run, I vote for seeing and being seen over being popular.

Arcata Marsh Flowers - digital image

Comments