There used to be hills - October 15, 2013

I live in a small, semi-rural community largely defined by a watershed, where I reside on the edge of the wide creek valley. It's a sweet neighborhood. I love to walk and have just realized that with one tiny exception the hills of my neighborhood are all locked and completely unwelcoming to me as a walker. There used to be a minimal level of tolerance for the occasional walker but that is a thing of the past. The owners of prime hillside real estate with their privately maintained roads and logging companies have zero tolerance for the wild and spirited neighbors who want nothing more than to stroll on inclination, but alas we are consigned to flatland. The exception is a 40 acre private woodland that neighbors are welcome to walk through. I am grateful for this and I am reminded that though not all change is welcomed it is mine to take in and notice the good. Oh, and I think snakes are good, very good. In case you are wondering.




Comments