Masters of Distraction - September 17, 2014

I have been noticing this human and personal foundational characteristic of being able to avoid contemplating seemingly obvious realities by a continual renewing of the need to do some task or get caught up in some other business, all of which I'm lumping together as our very large distraction task, which seemingly carries many of us from cradle to grave on a framework of beliefs that adds meaning to whatever tasks we drop into. 

So what on earth is the evolutionary value of this characteristic? As I dig into the climate crisis and allow more reality in, I can see this playing out daily in my little life. And it can become quite uncomfortable as I notice the distractions and then wonder what else I could be doing and what would the difference be as I seem to be less certain each day.

Meanwhile, on to the next distraction. I'm about to board the plane for the People's Climate March in NYC in a few days. Got my sign and the new Naomi Klein book packed and I'm feeling ready to join several thousand species relatives as we try to draw some attention to the insanity of our collective situation.



Comments