Last Days in Berlin - September 6, 2017

I'm taking in as much of this city as I can and the weather is mostly cooperating. There is a hint of fall in the air and the light reminds me of my childhood in Canada, making me think the latitude is part of the equation.



As I roamed I listened to Erik Larson's, In the Garden of Beasts, about the rise of Hitler and found it eerie to be wandering streets and areas referenced in the book. The Tiergarten, a vast well maintained green oasis in the concrete desert was a favorite place for people in the book to walk and talk to be free from listening devices.




And finally, the River Spree tour viewing the city from the water was a leg restful way to spend a final afternoon. What a city of contrasts, allowing a wide breadth of self expression following a horrific history of tyranny and conformity.


Comments