Close to Home - May 22, 2018

Portrait by R. Chwoles
Wow, crazy day in the Republic. I saw a poster advertising an art show of a deceased Lithuanian Jewish painter who painted portraits during and after the war. His name is Rafael Chwoles, my birth name is Chwelos and I've never come across anything close to it. Searching our last name only turns up siblings and cousins, seriously. So I had to go check this guy out, and the first portrait I saw, not the best, but the largest, looks like my mother's portrait - just crazy. She was a resistance fighter who was killed at age 30.

The Uzupis Angel high atop us.


I keep seeing family members all over the place here. I now know that I come by my speedy walking honestly, and my serious demeanor.
Early morning trip to local lake with castle.                  



Am listening to Rachmaninoff All Night Vigil while writing this as I did on the train this morning. So deeply sad and beautiful.

Comments