Civil Discourse

Today my sister was interviewed on a national morning program on CBC radio after she wrote a letter with a perspective based on a program from the prior week. Not only did they interview her but brought in another perspective and let them reflect together. 

The topic was organ donation and recipients expressing appreciation to families of donors. Our brother died eleven years ago and we've never heard anything from five successful transplant recipients though they all have our contact information. Joan expressed her feelings about this.


It was a beautiful connecting time for all of my sibs around this hard subject. And for me in the USA there was another aspect to this that I found to be profound which was the level of discourse, of listening, of respectful yet probing interviewing with enough time given to each side to afford a deep conversation. It made me wonder, when you have this kind of conversation in the public domain on a daily basis can it make a difference to civility? Bravo Canada for doing things like this so well. Brava Joan!


The episode can be heard here starting at 46:33 on the full episode.

Comments

caroline said…
Dear Rebecca - I heard thisCBC broadcast first without registering who the caller was. When I read your blog and realized it was Joan it took on another dimension and I listened again. I feel confident that there are those up here across the border who hold your brother and family dearly and silently to their hearts. Caroline
Rebecca said…
This comment has been removed by the author.