It Gets Worse


Today in Harder land we worked in Turlock in poorer neighborhoods, not quite as green and lush, with more Dems (yahoo! and thank you) and some really ugly others both on the canvass trail and at the town hall in the almond orchard.

We took our lunch break at the noon event in a verdant and lush, seriously, squidgy moist soil between the gorgeous trees. No drip irrigation, just total flooding of the area which I'm guessing means using heavy chemicals to keep down the undergrowth.

It looked so lovely and relaxing until a bunch of skin head looking, ugly, detractors kept interrupting, screaming about abortions at nine months, and calling Harder a communist. Things got pretty testy between the land owner who called for police backup, but Harder kept his cool and carried on very well. He mentioned that there were local people involved in Charlottesville and his despair over that.

On returning to the canvassing in the afternoon, I rang the bell at a man's house who was registered R and he wouldn't open the door, spoke through his door bell speaker, told me I was a communist and if I didn't get off his property he'd sic his dogs on me. I left promptly and didn't look back. Last house was another R behind a chain link fence which I had to unlatch with a chained closure, flags, and God Bless America signs everywhere. Couldn't see dogs but was wary, but decided to carry on and ring, and out popped Charles, who smiled and said "we need a change, I'm for him" and said he'd fill out his ballot and get it in this week. So, it's a mixed bag and there is evidence of a split in Trump support - hard core getting really ugly, and gentle folk abandoning ship. We'll see ...

Comments