Who Am I Away From Home? October 18, 2011


This journey brings me in contact with all sorts of novel people and places and I am noticing the fluidity of “selfing” depending on context. This includes mood, outlook, perspective, emotion, thoughts, and even sensations. Neuroscience tells us that there is no “self center” in the brain, that it is momentarily constructed by neural networks based on the stories we create. There is much freedom in this, but in difficult moments, also the possibility of entrapment.

How much choice do I have in constructing me in different circumstances? And how relevant is that construction anyway, if it is only a temporary structure? So, that leads me to look to find my way under, around, or through this amorphous story to a larger reality, something more dependable, rooted, and spacious.

So, good for me, to be, not home ….. and maybe not me.


Comments