Miles to Go ...

the beginning Battery Park
I set out to walk the length of Manhattan knowing it was about 13.5 miles, straight line, and not sure I'd make it with so much concrete underfoot but wanting to ready myself for England where day one is 14 miles.

Lower Yuppie Manhattan


I ended up walking 17 miles and loving every minute. Toward the end I felt like I was cheating, spending much of it in green belt areas so I marched over to Broadway and straight through Washington Heights to the end.

Hudson Yard fantasy stairway
High Line housing
A good day indeed. Survived and then some. New Yorkers are walkers by necessity and such a little trek had me in good company with a constant flow of humanity representing  many ages, classes, languages, colors, dress, and assistive forms of transport.

Central Park
I mostly took little video clips to try and thread together the journey but it will take awhile to build that, if I can. Interestingly stopping was necessitated mostly by the need to charge my phone to keep the routing and tracking apps functioning. It is astounding how dependent I am on the device.

The trip took close to 8 hours walking about 6.5 of it and recharging the rest.

Comments