Probabilities

leaving the B&B Farm
Today I found myself contemplating probabilities, like chance of rain - lucked out this time, but that just means that though there was a high probability of rain, it mostly didn't happen on my tiny area of movement in the region of prediction. There appeared to be showers all around.

gathering clouds and lots of wind
Then there is risk taking. As a Medicare card holder now, I am aware of my vulnerabilities especially doing things alone, but still, how much risk is too much? A series of small choices resulted in a big moment of relief.

Despite what I said to sister walkers at breakfast, when the time came I decided to peel off the main low route and head up to the higher alternate unmarked path. GPS was working and easy to follow on my map app so I headed up right as the only rain of the day started. Once at the top the path veered sharply right where a group of cattle occupied the trail and both sides and all I could think about was Bill Bryson talking about the number of walkers each year dying of cow attacks - and here I'd come to walk in the UK thinking I'd left behind my bear and mountain lion worries.

heading upward
So to avoid the cattle I decided to take a short cut over a small hill that would join with the path on the other side. I scrambled up the moss and grass covered limestone (slimestone as the locals call it when wet) now under drenching conditions, reaching the top where of course was an unseen dry stone wall, a high one with wire fencing at the top and no gates. The choice was back up or go over.

the type of fence scaled
Using one of the vertical poles seemingly supporting the stones I climbed up and stepped over, feeling the looseness of the stones at the top as I carefully dismounted luckily not pulling the wall onto myself. Then I had to find the path where without GPS not sure I would have done it as I kept heading leftward again and disconcertingly finding sheep skulls.

All ended well with a nice downgrade in spotty sunshine the rest of the day.

view from the top
I was rewarded with views and a shortened walk. The only shelter or bothy that I've seen on this trip was here but well down from the top most isolated area.

Blessings counted, technology appreciated, I plan to retire early tonight.

Comments