Sinistraphilia

I've made a new word to describe either an uncovered condition or a psychological pathology, but either way it is a tendency to veer left, which nearly got me in some big trouble this morning on rainy, windy, desolate Yorkshire moors, void even of sheep. In the first few miles I kept veering off piste when I finally saw someone walking far away right of me, I realized that I was constantly heading left away from the route. So I scrambled cross country back to the path knowing at least that if I kept doing it, all I need to do to correct is to take a sharp right. It worked! So this leaves me adding miles but staying a course of sorts.

crazy guy plants sequoias in 1850
After a very soggy morning I repaired to the first available pub to warm up with some tea, after which the rain slowed and eventually the sun broke through in spots. Back along the river the views are achingly silently alluring, every building stoney and ancient, no undesirable signage or human folly mars the serenity that seems unending. Just me, the weather, the landscape, sky, sheep. Peaceful in extreme, even the constant headwind is at home here.

And then end of the day at the last possible tea shop I promised myself a cream tea and luxuriated in every mouthful and crumb. A good Darjeeling tea to go with the Devonshire cream, scone, and organic local jam was heaven on this challenging day. I expect I'll be dreaming of this after the bath that has been offered at the B&B, finally a tub!
slippery ledges 

Here's my gratitude list for today: sturdy blisterfree feet, minimalist hiking shoes, friendly sister walkers, adorable sheep, rain that wasn't too cold, ibuprophen, figuring out how to find my way, tea stops, maps, guides, cell phone apps, flask that keeps tea warm for hours, not falling down on slippery rocky ledge stiles, brief warming and drying sun, adventures, and much much more but I've run out of space.

Comments